Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Sayonara Nippon!

Back from my 19 days Kinky Japan Grad Trip!! (And I'm missing Japan already)

Summary of trip

Places visited in Tokyo:
Mt Fuji (where I saw real snow for the 1st time!)
Hakone Park
Tokyo Disneyland
Tokyo Disneysea
Asakusa (witnessed a huge festival there)
Odaiba
Yasukuni Shrine (the controversial shrine)
Ginza
Tsukiji Fish Market (with the BEST sushi in the world)
Harajuku
Shibuya
Shinjuku
Omotesando
Ueno

In Kyushu:
Fukuoka (had yatai dinner)
Nagasaki (atomic bomb museum, peace park)
Kumamoto (Mt Aso, RAFTING)
Beppu (Hells of Beppu which was super boring and totally out to cheat tourists; tried sand bath; played with fireworks!)

Others:
Osaka (Universal Studios, Shinsaibashi, Dotonbori)
Kyoto (Kiyomizudera - a famous temple, Gion - to see Geisha)


It's been a great trip with great people and Japan is just an awesome country. People are nice and courteous and mostly considerate, service is great, food is good and is full of things that are so wow! But mostly I'm very happy that I've not lost my Jap ability even after 5 years of not using it. It's a bit difficult to hold conversations but at least I could get myself understood and get around really well.

And I'm really happy that I got to meet my Japanese frens again, those that hosted me when I last visited Tokyo and Osaka. It's so nice to have friends that one can visit there and it's a pity and I can't meet with with them all. Wished I could spend more time to visit all my frens and to go to Waseda University which at a point in time was my dream school.

I am seriously considering my friend's mum's suggestion of working in Japan. My Jap is not THAT good but enough to get by. BUT Japan seems like a place full of workaholics. We see people in suits even on weekends. And it has the highest rate of death from overworking. Hmmm... KIV.

But maybe I'll make Japan (and Taiwan) places that I would visit on a regular basis after this. For the friends I have, for the great people and great food and of course great shopping(although it's a bit ex to shop there, but they have lots of quirky stuff that I'm so tempted to buy.

Looking forward to the gathering of the Scandalous Six to exchange photos and probably make a scrap book of the experience in Japan.

It's truly an unforgettable trip. Thanks Jen, Jing, Shun, Hsu and Diya for making it unforgettable.

No comments: