Friday, May 06, 2011

Rallies

What is election without rallies?

A time where one gets the ticket to smear the govt and oppo parties openly. It's amazing how such stuff brings people together.

Never before do I realise how passionate Singaporeans can be. Never before do I realise how Singaporeans can unite over a cause. Never before do I realise the power of Uncles. Never before do I not see Singaporeans complain about having to standing in the hot sun or in water-logged fields getting their feet muddy.

The power of politics is to unite, but to split as well. Once u pledge allegiance to one party, you are inevitably against the other. I do not have to vote, but I'm still torn about what kind of government or parliament I want to see in Singapore.

While a 1 party takes a parliament is not the ideal, a clear cut 2 party system is not as well. Personal experience in Taiwan and Philippines has made me seen it's ill effects and appreciating what I have in Singapore. There are countless other examples to prove how a partisan 2 party system is detrimental. But yet, what the oppositions are pointing out in their rallies and are offering is so tempting as well. 有竞争才有进步是不争的规律。

It is beyond a doubt that what we have today is the work of the ruling party. The Singapore that we are all proud of. But there are still certain areas that we are unhappy about, and the proposition that we can make the Singapore we are proud of even better sounds good doesn't it? Personally, I'm not in favour of just letting any oppo voice in parly, but if we see a good one, I think we should give them a chance to prove themselves.

Then and again, I'm not the person with the vote in hand. So, here i zip.

No comments: