Friday, August 15, 2008

on ndp and olympics and everything in between

finally.. a day of total slackness today after an exciting, and slightly exhausting week...

actually it's been an exciting day today just watching the semis of the Table Tennis Women's Team event. heart racing with each point they fall behind by. even tho none of them were born Singaporean, there is still this pride that they are going to give Singapore her first Olympics medal since independence. I guess it felt most close to heart as Li Jiawei was playing cos she felt the most Singaporean among all. Her 3rd time representing Singapore in Olympics. We've seen her grow in Table Tennis, saw her fall in and out of love, seen her at NDP saying the pledge... I guess it's these little things that made us (or me at least) to be able to acknowledge her as a Singaporean. I've nv even heard of Feng Tianwei and Wang Yuegu before this Olympics, so pardon me for not being able to feel for them, altho Feng did really well and is really the heroine for Singapore now. SILVER for Singapore!

on a separate note, I went to the Padang on National Day for the second year running, hoping to soak into some celebratory mood and of course to see the fireworks. did not start well cos it was raining, then there were these tentages blocking our view from the huge screen and finally, because of the rain earlier on, the air was really stagnant causing the smoke from the fireworks to not be able to disperse fast enough so we only managed to see the fireworks in the first 2 mins or so. the rest were all hidden behind thick smoke. still it wasn't a trip wasted cos I made a new fren! haha.. and she turned out to be my senior from DHS. the world is just too small. i think everyone in Singapore is probably just 3 degrees apart at the most. ha!

and on Sunday, I was at the 12 Lotus premiere. quite surprised to be sitting right behind the cast. well, can't help but want to compare it to 881 and after some long hard thinking, I still think I preferred 881, esp in terms of storyline, tho I think 12 Lotus does have great cinematography. 12 Lotus has a very solemn story definitely but I felt it did not develop very well and the characters do not resonant as much. well of cos I feel sad for Lian Hua and all, but the feeling is not as strong as that I felt for Little Papaya. Also, there some points were I will actually question the development. Well, Royston still had his signature weird song sequences ala 881. I was more awed by the fact that he could sing a Hokkien song so well. Still worth a watch but I think it might not go down as well as 881 for most.


Now a photo treat. NDP 08 as seen from Padang!

picnic at the Padang, while waiting for the parade to start...

the flag fly past.. love this shot.

signature shot of Singapore.
this really sweet family of 5 trying catch some NDP action. my parents would nv had done this.

spectacular performance by the Black Knights. definitely the greatest highlight that day.

so this is where our taxpayers money go. train pilots to perform at NDP.

sarang hae Singapore!

雨后总会有彩虹!

nice sky ain't it?

one of the few nice fireworks shots. think the fireworks were a little disappointing for those at the padang cos the smoke was blocking a lot of them from view.

No comments: