Monday, December 07, 2009

history lesson

Did you know why the ABC market in Bukit Merah is so named?
Did you know what used to be where Ikea at Alexandra is now?

Was taking the cab home from work after my night shift the other day when I got a history lesson from the cab driver instead. Was quite irritated with him cos he can't quite stop talking from the moment I got in, and then he asked if my colleague was rich cos he fetched her home before and remembered she lived in landed property and even remember exactly where. First I was disgusted and then I was horrified. Who knows what he can do with these info. Taxi uncles are scary.

As much as I found him irritating, he was quite educational as well.

Apparently, Ikea used to be the warehouse for ABC stout beer. The area was a very bustling area, and Alexandra Village Market used to be the train station. Jalan Bukit Merah was non-existent then (then is prob abt 50 yrs ago). As there is a market behind the ABC warehouse, which is somewhat of a landmark then, people decide to call the market ABC market. Subsequently, ABC moved, the warehouse gave way to other things and is now IKEA, but people still call the market ABC market. It has an official name, but most ppl can't identify with the name, so the name stayed.

Now that's something I never know tho I've known the market since I was way little cos my Grandpa's factory used to be across the street.

Well, the taxi uncle actually asked me how long I had been staying in the area, and how come I did not know this story. No one ever told me that loh.. I mean it's "nice" of him to share this story, but dun need to say in that manner k. Just as I was warming up to him, he zham break in front of the red light and I almost got strangled by the seat belt. (I was sooo glad I had the seat belt on, as I've come to conclude taxi uncles after midnight is not always sane n alert.) Anyway, he was too engrossed in talking to realised the light turned red and as there was a speed camera there so he had to stop.

And just before I alighted, he said he was hoping I would be the one taking his cab when I was walking towards the taxi stand as he remembered where I stayed and that means he can still go town area to get more customers. He said my colleague stayed at too ulu a place so he'd rather not ferry her. OMG. I wish I'd nv have to take his cab again.

No comments: