Saturday, January 10, 2009

the day dark clouds hovered...

I walked into office with a letter from the HR addressed to me sitting on my desk.

"Strictly private and confidential. To be opened by addressee only." It stamped in red.

My colleagues looked wearily at me, with slight worried looks in their faces.

"We're all going to get a pay cut," one said, "look." And she handed me a printout of the email that was sent out just that afternoon from the CEO.

I took a glance. It was 2 whole pages long with a 4 page attachment of FAQs to the new measures in place.

"Quick open the envelope and tell us what's in it," another colleague said.

I took a closer look at the envelope and my heart sank slightly. I opened it and took out the letter carefully.

It read, "This is to certify that Lin Hui is employed in the company as a part time broadcast journalist..."

*WHEW*

It was the employment certification letter I requested from the HR for my brother's university financial application. NOT the dreaded "goodbye" letter.

Upon realizing that, I could feel the tension ease around me.

"Chey! We thought your letter was part of the cost cutting measures the company is undertaking! Since you are a contract staff... "

Yeah, you guys made me worried for a while too. But then, I feel loved. That everyone cares about my presence. Hah.

I've just past the 6 month mark on the job, and the fear of losing my job already hovered. What an eventful start of my career.

But well, I'm still employed, tho there'll be approx 10% pay cut with corresponding less work days. It's going to be a 5-4-5-4 work day month. I'm going to have much more days off, forced leave days and more long weekends.

So do ask me out more often. But please restrict to asking me out for cheap activities and budget meals as I'm gonna be earning less! *yikes* (not like I'm earning a lot now)

How about teaching me to ride a bike for a start?

No comments: